Those were the four words that came out of my husbands mouth last Monday night as he looked down at me in the hospital bed. All I could do was wrap one arm around him and cry.
I woke December 11th with a bad headache localized to the right side of my head. It was relentless day after day and nothing was making it better. An MRI with contrast on January 3rd revealed a right venus angioma (malformation of veins in a localized area of my brain) which ruptured and caused a bleed to the right frontal lobe. Hence the cause of my headaches. Because the vessels looked suspicious, neurosurgery wanted to take a better look to make sure there was not an arterial component to the malformed structure. In short, arterial involvement has increased risk in comparison to veins alone. I underwent a cerebral angiogram (very similar to a cardiac cath procedure where they run a catheter from the groin, past the kidneys, past the heart, and to the carotid artery and inject dye to get a better look at the vessels) last Monday.
The prep for the test and the test itself went off well. I was a bit nervous but everyone involved was highly reassuring and calm. I was partially sedated for the procedure as there were times in which I had to following commands (i.e. take a breath, let it out, now take a shallow breath and hold for .....). Some things I remember but most of my memories are foggy.
I do remember waking in a recovery room and feeling like something was wrong. Over a period of time I was apparently complaining to Nash and the nurse of sensation disturbances on the left side of my body, numbness in the right side of my face, and wavyness in my right visual field. In addition to these symptoms, I was vomiting frequently and had severe head pain. After confirming that I was awake enough to trust in what I was reporting and that it wasn't just the effects of coming to from the sedation, the neurosurgeon sent me for a STAT MRI.
Unbeknownst to me, the neurosurgry team was sitting with Nash revewing the results of my MRI before I had even returned to the recovery area. Upon my return I continued to get sick. Nash was glued to my side and attentive to my every need. When thingss calmed and I layed back in the bed, I looked up at Nash and said, "What is wrong with me? Do you know?" With his reddened eyes he just looked down at me and said, "You've had a stroke."
Too sleepy to continue.....more to come.....but please don't worry.....I am on a rehab unit and doing ok.
20 comments:
Wow Kelly, what an unexpected twist and turn on this journey of life! I want you to know that I have recruited all of my prayer warriors and we will be right by your side praying you (and your family) through this!!
The Bushman family is lifting you up Kel! We love you!
I'm so glad that only one week after the stroke you are able to blog to friends and family! Love,
Mom
We love you Kelly & Nash! Hang in there! You are always in our prayers!
Hi Kelly and family! Just wanted to reach out and tell you we are thinking about you all and praying for a speedy recovery! Lisa shared your news with us last night and I just couldn't believe it. I check your blog every once and a while from Lisa's page - can't believe your kids are so big! I still remember Ella doing the chicken dance at Ed & Lisa's wedding - feels like yesterday! We will continue to check back for updates --- stay strong :)
love, Jenn (Lisa's sister)
Joe & I are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.
Kelly,
Carrie, Jack, Brannon, Ries and I are keeping you, Nash, Ella, and Will in our nightly prayers. You have a strong faith, and a strong body. You will conquer this obstacle like you have in the past. We love you all!
prayers and constant thoughts of love and healing coming your way!!! :)
Speedy recovery my friend.. Lynette shared your news and as a family we will continue to pray for your continued strength and recovery. You've hurdled so many obstacles in your life - this is just one more to climb. You got this!
Kelly! You are one strong woman and will power through this! Hang in there and know you've got lots of folks thinking about you, praying for you and sending positive vibes your way. Much love to you and your beautiful family!
Katie Ramstack
Kelly and Nash! Just heard the news and wanted you to know that we are thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers! So glad you are well enough to blog. We will be watching for updates! Hang in there!
Chris, Jen, Elizabeth and Matthew Benton
Kelly,
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you, Nash and your family. Stay strong and positive. We will continue to pray for you and your family!
Stacey McLaughlin Cremers
Hey guys. Keeping you in my prayers. Get well soon!
Nick Kanoza
Kelly, you are such a strong person physically, mentally, and spiritually. I know the road ahead may seem long but you have so many friends and loved ones to carry you through. We are praying for you. And your army is waiting to answer your calls for help. From Shellie Foley
Kelly,
So thankful for the update. We are praying for you, Nash and the kids.
Robyn Buskirk
Hi friend!!! Man you are one amazing woman. I'm impressed and grateful that you are able to blog and update everyone on all that is going on. I want you to know that we love you and that we are praying for you. We are here for you with anything that you may need. Stay strong! We know you will be able to conquer this mountain.
Love ya, Leah
I love you so much Kel! I am so proud of your determinaton! My brother loves and cares for you so deeply and that love and faith you all have in God I know good things will come!
Love you
Nadia
I'm a cousin of Julie's and will definitely keep you in my thoughts, sweet girl.
I have always been impressed with you and have loved your spirit and laugh since Leah introduced us to you and Nash. Your story is just mind-boggling and your determination is inspirational. Keep fighting for what you know you deserve: strength, the ability to run, feel the wind on your face and to keep up with those beautiful children. My heart breaks for you, but I know you will be fine. Carry on, Superwoman!! We love you!
Post a Comment