For an overachiever, the Ups & Downs I feel as I fight to recover can be quite difficult to accept. Clearly I would prefer that recovery be a gradual (or steep!) incline. However, after three weeks, I am learning that although I continue to see and feel progress, I can become quite frustrated by any bump in the road.
Example: I had an awesome morning in my therapy sessions today. I felt optimistic about my progress, could see and feel the gains I was making, and looked forward to showing Nash how I've improved since he hadn't seen me in a few days. I took a little nap to gear up for the afternoon sessions and when I woke, the "tickle/prickle" sensation was firing so intensely throughout my left side, movement was almost intolerable. It was all I could do to tolerate the touch of my left arm against my left side. AGH...it was irritating, noxious, and nearly impossible to concentrate on anything else. In fact, it was so intense, it seemed to make my ataxia (coordination of movement) worse. We did everything we could think of in my afternoon PT session to calm the sensation including deep pressure, weight bearing input, etc. It proved to be helpful when the input was applied but as soon as we removed it, the noxious sensation returned. So, while we were able to accomplish a few things, the afternoon session felt like a BUST!
Fortunately I have an incredible team here who can talk me down! HAHA. They can sense and read my frustrations and don't hesitate to help me work through them. I am so appreciative of their time, talents, and caring attitudes. I wouldn't be this far along if it wasn't for them.
Clearly the other major contributor to my sanity and success are all of you (family & friends). As I returned to my room, put on the most comfortable pj's I could find, and relaxed (still) in my bed, I found a handful of cards Nash had received and left for me. It could not have been better timing! I read the beautiful messages on the cards, the words of encouragement and prayer, and was completely surprised when a family sent me a notification that they had requested a mass be offered at Saint Margaret of York (our parish) on March 2nd in my name. I am so very thankful for all of you and truly blessed.
I want to wish everyone a HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! Hope you take the time to show your appreciation to those you love!
3 comments:
Hey Kelly, Just got updated on your blog. I am sure you get discouraged,truly can't even imagine what you are going through, but I do know that you are amazing at whatever you set your mind to. I continue to pray every day for you to have strength to get through this process of healing your body. As Axel would say... AMEN! I so wish I could come visit with you but the weather just is not cooperating at the times I am not babysitting. But please know that you are in my thoughts daily!! I love you sweetie. Keep on Keeping on girl! You can do this. Give Nash a hug for me. Want to call him but I know he is busy. We are all thinking of you & hopefully can get up to see you soon.
Much love & prayer to lift you up!! Aunt Mindy
Kelly- even in weakness you show amazing strength- keep kicking butt girl!
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
To our beautiful Kelly,
I know you can do anything you set your mind to. Some things just take a little longer than others. G-pa and I have such great confidence in you and your wonderful ability to overcome. We pray for you every day and love you so very much......
Post a Comment