Valentine (n) - someone you love or admire affectionately (English definition from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary)
Spending much time on this rehab unit as Valentine's Day approached, I sat and wondered if these people, these other patients, had love ones who admire them or whom they admire as much as those I have in my life. I see that some are visited by loved ones day after day while others I've seen only alone. Gestures of love I have witnessed include the son who held onto the waistband of his fathers pants using all his strength to keep his father on his feet as he fought to walk back to his wheelchair; the granddaughter who sat through the "stroke education class" so she could better understand what had happened to her grandmother; and the daughter who lead a cheering section of encouragement and support as her mother relearned how to use her right arm to support herself while sitting. My thoughts then turned to how amazingly blessed I am to have so many people in my life that I admire affectionately and love, and whom show that admiration and love for me. And, then I ask myself, "Do I show it enough? Do I....?" While so many of us think of "Valentine's Day" as just a Hallmark Holiday, unexpected changes in ones life can alter perspective just a bit and have you viewing this holiday through a different lens. Questioning just how "good" you are at expressing your intentions or affections to those you "love and admire".
Setting aside for a moment the tangible gifts that one feels compelled to buy this time of year, I hope you've taken the time to formulate and express the words to your loved one(s) that he/she/they deserve to hear. And if you haven't done that yet, there's always tomorrow! :)
At this very time in my life, I know I am incapable of "verbally" communicating with all of you, but please know that I have felt the love and prayers, read your words, and been touched by your admiration and faith in me to overcome all the challenges I'm facing. I love each and every one of you and am so blessed to have you in my life.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! xoxoxoxo
Kelly
4 comments:
To answer your question.....YES you show it enough! You are an amazing friend and one of the most selfless people I know. I can of course only speak for myself here, but I know all would agree with me! Love you girl! Stay strong and know that you are very loved on this post Valentine's Day Monday!!
I agree Kelly, Yes you do show it enough. You are an amazing & loving mother, wife, daughter & friend. You always put family first. I love you girl, from the bottom of my heart. Keep the faith & keep on keeping on!!
Love Aunt Mindy!
I don't know many people who can say they feel like their sister in law is like a real sister to them! This girl can!!!!! Love and miss you
Your Valentine’s Day observations had me caught up in my own reflections. I think they can most likely be summed up with in word ‘agape’. This Greek term (I had to look it up) is often used to communicate the concept of Christian love, the act of giving oneself for the benefit of others, especially to the point of painful, unrequited sacrifice.
Your examples of the struggling son, the resolute granddaughter, and the determined daughter are the very essence of our Christian family. When you fall, I will pick you up. Even when I feel there is little I can do to help you, I will give what I have been given for your benefit because I love you, and because your needs must come before mine.
Kelly, I am so very sorry that you find yourself isolated from those you love, and that you are frustrated in your recovery. But, you have been given this unique opportunity to witness and to bear witness to agape for all of us. I pray that we all will use this experience to inspire our own acts of selfless love for each other.
Post a Comment