Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Constraint-induced movement therapy

I have to make this post quick due to several homework assignments (yes - therapists give homework) I need to finish tonight.  But, I thought I'd quickly throw this in for all those therapist friends of mine who will likely be smiling and/or cheering after seeing it.  You are seeing this correctly.....Kelly engaged in constraint-induced movement therapy.

Honestly, I put up a fight (big, stubborn fight), regarding constraint.  How long?  For days and days! Even when I knew it was a therapeutic modality that can have very positive outcomes! So, what was the root of my resistance?  It was an emotional fight....it was my fight not wanting to lose one of the only "good" things I feel I have right now.  Call me crazy, ridiculous, or irrational.  The thought of taking away my good arm for 30 min, 60 min, 90 min a day resulted in emotional turmoil.  It's a damn good thing I have very patient and understanding therapists. I get the sense this isn't their first rodeo! And I need to thank my husband who can talk me into just about anything. Yes....my therapists appreciate him greatly!

Brief Description:  Constraint-induced movement therapy (CI or CIMT) is a form of rehabilitation therapy that improves upper extremity function in stroke and other central nervous system damage victims by increasing the use of their affected upper limb.  As a result of the patient engaging in repetitive exercises with the affected limb, the brain grows new neural pathways. This change in the brain is referred to as cortical reorganization or neuroplasticity. (Wikipedia)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope they (the therapists) leave that right arm some free time so you can crochet:) Or... maybe painting with your left hand? Love you! You're my heroine, Kelly!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Be sure to tell Nash that I miss the days of using constraint-induced movement therapy at CMH too, but that's no excuse to be making his wife do it!!! Kidding. I'm hoping you see great results from it! Good luck!

Chris Benton

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
We have only met a few times, but when I read this today you immediately came to my mind! You wear it well....

TODAY'S VERSE Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. - Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. Colossians 3:12, 14 (NLT)

TODAY'S THOUGHT What are you wearing? I like Paul's analogy of our Christian lifestyle being like the clothes we wear. Clothes are what people see and so are our actions. Paul is saying that because God dearly loves us and that we are chosen by God to be His holy people, we should behave certain ways. Not out of necessity but out of gratitude. Not phony like a mask or pretentious like a Tuxedo, but our actions should reflect our everyday attire. It should be natural for us to wear tenderhearted mercy and kindness. When people see us they should see humility, gentleness and patience. Most of all, love should be obvious to everyone that meets us. The good news is that Paul included all but mercy, in his list of the fruit of the spirit. The Holy Spirit, Himself, helps us live this way. So today make sure when you pick out your outfit to wear, you include tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience and love.

Judy Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Love it! I think of you and pray for you daily. You are so strong and determined; truly an inspiration. Love you! Lots of love and prayers from NC

Victoria Stokes aka Bubba

Laura Kohus said...

Love this and especially love the accompanying picture!