Monday, February 17, 2014

Progress......

Those prayers are working and I can see and feel progress.

First, and very important to me, was the recent "storming" over the plan for anticoagulation.  I'm thrilled to say I was visited by a "second opinion" hematologist who seemed very vested in my case. He is interested in running the same panel of tests as my previous hematologist from 4 years ago (which will likely come out fine) and in addition, running a bunch of additional tests to look for some very rare things that could be causing my clotting.  I won't have the results for another 3-4 weeks and will remain on lovenox injections and aspirin until then.  He did say that regardless of the outcome, I will likely need to be on medication for anticoagulation for the rest of my life.  I wasn't all that surprised!  Just happy to have a vested hematologist!

Secondly, my movements continue to improve which are allowing me to be more functional.  I'm walking with loftstrand crutches with close supervision and am fairly independent with a walker.  Movement of my left arm is showing improved coordination and control.  I've also found some tricks and ways to adapt to be more successful.

Third, my endurance for long days of therapy as well as outings has greatly improved.  I'm maintaining good energy and feeling more confident in my ability to fight a good fight each and every day.

Last, while my sensation has not changed significantly since my stroke, my right cheek is feeling more like normal.  Today we started another medication to try to combat the sensory challenges i'm facing.  Crossing my fingers for some success!

Thanks for all your prayers! Will post again soon!
Kelly





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful update!

Laura Kohus said...

Good update. Glad your new hematologist is willing to accept the challenge. ;) Keep rocking it, girlfriend! Love, Laura

Grammy aka Lindy said...

Great news Kelly! Keep up the fabulous attitude and hard work! It is paying off!!!

Anonymous said...

Great News Kelly, Keep up the hard work!! Love you!!

Aunt Mindy

duncan family said...

Yeah! Love the good news & you sound in such good spirits! What a fighter.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, you are our hero, we are so very, very proud of you. We love you so very much. Keep fighting and Florida will keep praying!!

Grandma & Grandpa Dreyer

Anonymous said...

That is exciting and relieving that you have a hematologist that is ready to figure this mess out. Excited for all your progress. Such good news. Keep fighting and showing this stroke who's boss :-). We love you!!!
Leah