How does one approach the concept of rehab a second time? Relearning to walk, again. Relearning to use my left arm, again. While there are definite differences this round (i.e. the sensory challenges, and others), it felt crazy that I was going through this again nearly four years later....to the date. I remember lying in a hospital bed watching the last Winter Olympics while winter storms challenged my husband and family from being able to visit.
Let's be truthful....at the start of last week, I was scared and angry. No pissed. I couldn't believe this was happening to me, again. My thoughts...."wasn't it enough to rehab back from massive blood clots in my lungs and compression of my spinal cord from a tumor? I did this once. I can't imagine doing it again! How am I going to do this again? And a stroke....? I don't want to do this again."
While I was on the neuro floor, I let fear, anger, and frustration creep into my mind. I was fairly sedentary, which is not me at all, and I couldn't see or feel my potential. What I could see and feel was what was wrong, what felt different, and what wasn't working right. Fortunately, when the therapists arrived to get my sorry self out of bed, I felt my fight, I felt my strength, and I felt my drive. I had to make a choice: to fight or not to fight? Considering all that I have to live for, the question is really not worth asking a second time.
My mind is made up. The choice is to fight this battle. To overcome these deficits. "Good Prognosis" said the Doctors. Well, good prognosis better mean I'm backpacking in California this August.....because that is just one of my goals...one of many! :) Choosing to fight certainly doesn't mean that I expect everything to be peachy and perfect because it's not. I've shed many tears, identified many fears, and vocalized my frustrations. But, this tremendous therapy team has held my hand through the tears, helped to work through the fears, and provided encouragement when frustrated. And just as important, they have helped me to laugh daily. It really is the best medicine!
8 comments:
Many prayers are being prayed for you, your family and healthcare team!
Kelly, as I sit hear & read your blog I am totally inspired by you & your determination. You are a warrior girl & I have no doubt you will come through this stronger than ever! I love you so much! You are one of my heroes! Love & prayers for you, Nash & my beautiful great niece & nephew. Hang in there & keep up the fight!
Love Aunt Mindy
You are a fighter and you are an inspiration. You tackle everything head on and don't let anything get in the way of your goals. I absolutely hate that you are going through this, again no less but I have faith in God and faith in you. And a big thank you to your therapists as they are pushing you to achieve your goals and supporting you along the way. Love ya girl! Leah
Kelly, you are amazing! Such an inspiration. I am so sorry that this has happened to you and so glad that you are the woman that you are.
I don't know you well but I do know you are strong in mind, spirit and body. Please know that we are thinking positive thoughts and many prayers are being sent your way. Best wishes toward a speedy and thorough recovery! Jen Krum- First Choice Home Health- Bozeman
Hi Kelly,
We have been praying for you, Nash, Ella and Will daily. Stay strong and keep that positive outlook I hear coming through in your blog!
Keep the faith!
Lori and Scott
Kelly,
I want you to know that we are praying for you and I think about you everyday since receiving Nash's email. You are a fighter, determined, and one of the most disciplined people I know. I am inspired by your positive outlook and your courage through this battle. We dropped off some pizza to Ella and Will tonight- not Paleo friendly BUT they were smiling!!! Love you girl :)
Jessica Mann
Kelly we are praying for you, Nash and the kids and all those who are working with your recovery. God bless
Laura Doug and the kids
Another goal: Make it NC. We have a beach. Love you guys!
Post a Comment