Saturday, February 22, 2014

Medical Update.......

I thought you might like a quick update on where my medical journey stands.....

My discharge is scheduled for this Wed.  Hooray!  I went on a pass today to test out my maneuverability skills in the house with both the walker and the loftstrand crutches.  Overall, I felt the home test went well.  I feel very comfortable and safe with the walker and am gaining more confidence with the loftstrand crutches.  As I gradually check off the goal of "safe mobility in the home with an assistive device" it's time to move onto the next goal of increasing "functional capability".  Right now all tasks are fairly slow and labored.  It takes an excessive amount of time to plan and coordinate movement for tasks that involve the left arm/hand; not to mention having to manage an assistive device while engaged in such activities. So, this would be the time to continually remind myself to be very, very patient.  My first task.....now that food will not be brought to me on a large, blue tray, I would guess that all of you who know me well can immediately shout out exactly what I plan to make myself for breakfast Thursday morning when I wake up in my own room and head into my own kitchen!  For those of you who are unsure.....I will be making a delicious smoothie.

I will continue my ongoing rehabilitative journey in OP therapy this Thursday.  I plan to be in intensive therapies 2 days/week and will be supplementing with additional "therapy-like" activities on the other days.  Anyone who is looking to get out, go walking, work out at a gym, go swimming, etc....keep an eye out for our website and sign up to join me.  The only catch....I need you to drive! :)                                                                                

After a second opinion hematology consult and extensive testing, all services (hematology, neurology, neurosurgery, and physical medicine and rehab) are in agreement that I need to be on coumadin for life.  I have begun the process of twice/day lovenox shots and coumadin as they thin my blood in order to transition to only oral coumadin.  I will be glad when that day arrives.

That's all I can think of for now.  Continued thank you for all those prayers!  Love to all, Kelly

5 comments:

Laura Kohus said...

Yay for such great progress! I'm sure your smoothie machine misses you. ;) I'm glad your team has a plan together. I am sure a discharge date is awesome but daunting. It will be a change, but a change you will handle gracefully! Love, Laura

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you will be going home soon. Enjoy that smoothie and be patient with your body as it continues to heal.

Romans 12:12
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Unknown said...

Kelly there are no words in which I can say that would ever even attempt to convey my sympathy and shock for what you are going through. You are the healthiest, nicest, strongest and toughest person I know. I know, you have already gone through your grief and why me stage and are way down the rehabilitation trail. You are dealing with it unbelievably well. I know you will make it through this better and with more grace than anyone can imagine as you always do. If you need any transportation to the YMCA or any other place or anything, I am here. My schedule is variable but the days I am off I am off most the day or all day. I am so happy to hear that you are going home. It will be tough at first, but you will improve better and faster than in the hospital. If I remember correctly, you have some pictures to take of the Brook's Range in the Gates of the Artic National Park. You will get there. Just keep being you. Mark







Unknown said...

Hi Kelly! Angie Jones here...Julie's former co-worker. I have been getting updates and am inspired by your positive attitude. I know it's hard not getting to be the you you were, but you already know that. You've done that, been there. I wouldn't even begin to relate to what you and your loved ones are coping with but know....and know that you also know....there is the 'other side.' You will get there! We all know it, because of who you are, who you wish to be for yourself and your family and friends. Continued healing thoughts and prayers sent to y'all. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Praying for a smooth transition home and for patience as your body continues to recover! You are so amazing and I am trusting God for a full recovery!! Stay strong friend!!