Sunday, February 7, 2010

SURVIVING WHAT MOST SAID WAS “UNSURVIVABLE”

SURVIVING WHAT MOST SAID WAS “UNSURVIVABLE”
MY SURGERY
My elective ear and skull base surgery hit a point of necessity approximately 4 weeks ago. Having major difficulties with my vision, hearing, and dizziness gave me little options and was affecting every aspect of my life. I have a condition called, “Superior Canal Dehiscence”. Very rare, unique, and unknown to most doctors. I fell into the right hands though….a neurotologist in the Cincinnati area who specializes in skull base surgery and who understands this condition very well. I underwent surgery January 20th. Surgery went fairly well with one minor hang up. A tear in the Dura lining of the brain and subsequent CSF leak that required repair prior to the bone grafting for the surgery. Overall surgery was a success with an approx. 24 hour stay in the Neuro ICU. Prior to my departure I was eating and drinking, walking the halls, and having no complications.
MY RECOVERY
The first few days went well. I was resting and recovering. I was walking, going up/down stairs, eating, drinking, etc. After about 4 days I noticed changes. Every day the following was worsening: Rapidly declining stamina, increased work of breathes increased nausea and vomiting (mostly with exertion), worsening balance and gait, and the final kicker “pain”. I woke up the morning of the 28th with a runner’s cramp in my left side. It hurt to inhale. I thought it was a pulled muscle or I just slept funny. It was nagging pain. By that evening I was running a fever. I immediately called the surgeon’s office and was advised to go see my physician in the morning. The physician couldn’t see me until 5pm so we headed for the ER.
MY EMERGENCY ROOM VISIT
Breathing hard and in pain the ER doc. looked at me puzzled. Lungs sounded clear. He ran a BIG battery of tests. A couple hours later we hear….Mrs. Dreyer….YOU HAVE MULTIPLE CLOTS THROUGHOUT YOUR LUNGS. I’m trying to get in touch with your doctors b/c you need to be admitted to the hospital and on blood thinning medication asap. However, you just had skull surgery and a blood thinner will put you at risk for a head bleed. No one wanted to make that decision. However surprisingly, the risk of not starting the blood thinner was actually far greater than the risk of a head bleed. The decision was made to admit me to University and treat the clots.
MY HOSPITALIZATION
9 Days & Complicated! That is the best way that I can sum this one up. Complicated. I have been told I have many clots in my lungs. The clots caused an infarct to the lung tissue in my lower left lobe (explaining the site of my runner’s cramp pain). Most worrisome were the two very large clots (one in each lung). My hospitalization has been complicated by challenges with pain management, difficulty breathing and significantly increased work of breath, the blood thinning process, fighting dehydration, nausea/vomiting, a urinary tract infection, a flare up of ulcerative colitis (an inflammatory bowel disease now putting me at risk for bleeding out due to the blood thinning medication), major challenges with my balance and gait making it unsafe for me to walk by myself, and O2 desaturation with all exertion tasks (i.e. walking 6 feet and desat. to the low 80’s).
MY CURRENT FIGHT
I was transferred to Christ Hospital for inpatient rehab this weekend. I do not know how long I’ll stay but it certainly will depend on recovery and progress. I’ll receive a minimum of 3 hours of therapy a day starting tomorrow. I’ll have OT, PT, Speech and more. I am ready for this. I do not know what’s to come, but I do know where I want to go…..and that’s all the motivation I need. The doctors tell me to expect it to take a minimum of 6 months for my body to break down all of the clots and not to be disappointed if it takes up to 1 year. I will be on blood thinners for a minimum of 6 months. My stamina and lung function will improve over time.
MY SURVIVAL
One medical professional after another stressed the seriousness of my situation and shared that this should not have been survivable. So, why did I? All say it was my level of physical fitness. To which I said….I should send Tony Horton and P90X a Thank You card for assisting in saving my life. I also believe I have a strong faith and have much too much to live for.
MY PLAN FOR REHAB
I currently rely on about 2L of oxygen support. I’d like to wean off the oxygen, improve my balance and gait to a level safe to move about my house, be more independent in my everyday ADL’s, and build up my stamina to where I’m not short of breath in simple conversation. I want to be able to play with my kids again, take a shower independently, etc. When appropriate, I want to drive, go back to work, ……… I’d like to have my life back!
So, I have BIG goals to achieve and taking one day at a time. You all have been a tremendous support. My family and especially I are so very thankful to all of you for offering support, assisting us, and sending prayers. The power of prayer is so important to me. THANK YOU. I love you all. I love that you love me. Word travels fast and my family does pass along all of the names and messages from all of you. Please continue to send your prayers as I enter this inpatient rehab stay. And please pray for Nash and the kids as they struggle with my absence and illness. THANK YOU!
Kelly

28 comments:

*super dude and super dog* said...

I had no idea you were having so many post-op difficulties. We will keep you in our prayers. I'm not sure what we can do from NC, but please let us know if you think of something, because we'll do it. If you need some sand from the beach to motivate you (for a vacation, of course!) I'll send it!

Much love,
Brad, Kellie & Carter

Monica~ James~ Connor said...

We also had no idea you had gone through so much. What a shock!!!

You are such a fighter girl! I know if anyone can bounce back from this it will be you. Please take care of yourself. You all will be in our thoughts & prayers. Cheering you on from NC....
{{{{{hugs}}}}
Monica, James, & Connor

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! We have been praying for you and your family as Nadia has kept us posted! If you need anything during this time, please do NOT hesitate to ask!

You're an inspiration, Kelly!

Anonymous said...

You will definitely be in our prayers. I had no idea you were going through all of this.

Anonymous said...

sorry I forgot to sign my name on last comment.
Cheryl and Rick Bolling

Anonymous said...

Kelly and Nash -

I just heard this morning of your current battle. Please know that our family is praying for your complete recovery. Keep fighting!!

God bless.

Anthony Wade

Steerpike said...

Kelly - Julie & Larry have been keeping us posted and we are so sorry to hear of all your difficulties but are so proud of your attitude and willingness to get your body strong for those precious babies. We pray for you often and are thinking of you always. Take it slowly so the healing is thorough. You have a lot of support: use it. Much love to you all.
Emily & Patrick, and the rest of our motley crew here in st. louis

Unknown said...

Sending much love and bright blessings from Asheville.

Be Well,
Beth and Phill Huber

JMax said...

Kelly & Nash,

Prayers will continue to be sent from me to God's ears! You both are stong...and will make it through this difficult time. Continue to have faith!

Love to you all!
Jeni

Richardson Family News said...

Oh Kelly, I am so thankful that you are on the road to recovery. Nadia has been posting on Facebook and I have tried to keep Stacey informed but I will send her this link so she too can read about what's going on with you. Take it easy and I know how difficult that is. My prayers are with you and your recovery.
Susan Richardson

Fuller Family said...

Kelly and Nash
I wish you the best in your recovery. If there is anything I can do for you tow please let me know. Kelly you are a very strong woman and will get through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Kelly and family, Icannot express how good it is to "hear" your voice through the words above. The strength and grace which you encompass shines through.Sending you all the energy from the universe I am able. Julie white

The Aliaga Family said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You are a strong person Kelly...I'm not surprised at all that you've come as far as you have. I've been in contact with Nadia and am hoping to drop off some meals for your family while you are getting better. Love ya! And keep us updated!!

Sarah said...

Kellie! I just got an email from Nadia and had no clue what was going on. I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle. I will definitely be lifting you and your whole family up in prayer. Stay strong!

Anonymous said...

We have been staying posted through Nadia's messages.Our prayers have been with you and your whole family.If there is any thing at all that we can do for you,please don't hesistate to ask us. It is truly a blessing to hear this message from you. We will keep praying.

STAY STRONG!!
The Strickland Family

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
So sorry to hear about all this. I am so worried about you, I will pray for you and your family! I am thankful for the "good" results you have had so far, but I understand the seriousness, of the "bad". I am thinking of you and hoping you can recover more quickly than they expect! Hope you have good nurses to take care of you! You now all your RCNIC nurses would be there if we could!!! We love you, hoping for the best for you!
Jamie Webb

Duncan Family said...

love you, miss you and pray for you always. i think the whole state of alabama is praying for you!!!! trying to keep everyone up to date but nothing is better than hearing it from you! I scheduled dinners to your family for the next month! Might not be as good as your cooking but its better than my Mom's. he he he (Just kidding Mom) LOVE YOU and can't wait to see you soon!
p.s. Vera loves saying extra prayers for you and Ella and William and SILLY Uncle Nash (who sounds like a chicken!)

Brooke and David said...

Kelly,

Stay strong and keep the faith! Our God is a great healer and will carry you through this. I am praying for you and your family during this time of adjustment. May you feel His hand upon you and may He give you peace.

A friend of Nadias,

Brooke

Laura Sauer said...

Kel - Whew! What an eloquent and succinct way to describe your journey over the past weeks. You are so incredibly strong and brave! Praying, praying, praying, and cheerleading you on in my thoughts! You are a fighter, girl!

Love, Laura

Warren Family said...

Kel I am still sending lots of love and prayers! Sorry you didn't get to go home like expected! Give those therapists hell if they aren't good! LOL. If you need anything I am still here anytime. I will try to give you call this week. Keep hanging on sweetie! You are such an inspiration to us all!

Tory said...

Kelly--so good to talk to you tonight. As promised, My cell 610-772-1200. RaeRae's 513-368-9476. You amaze me and we are praying for you. Call if you ever need to anytime. Tory

Anonymous said...

Kelly and Nash
I just read about your fight for life. You are so strong! You have accomplished so much during this battle already. Keep thinking about those goals. You will make them happen! I will be praying for you and your family!

Julie "George" LoPiccolo

Anonymous said...

Kelly, you are sounding so much better than last week. Keep up the good work. I think of you throughout everyday! I am so thankful that you survived this and know that you can fight your way back. I'm here for you if you need anything!
We love you,
Ric and Family

Unknown said...

Kelly,
Thanks for writing this. Norm and I are praying for you constantly. My whole family in Florida is also praying for your recovery. This blog helps explain things.

We love you so much. We know you'll pull through. Be strong. Know that this is just a minor setback on the journey of life, and for whatever reason God wants you to experience this. I know you'll use this crazy experience for good. You are an amazing woman with a beautiful spirit. We love you.

Genevieve

Anonymous said...

Bunches of prayer for you and bunches of prayers for Nash and
my beautiful great-grandbabies!
Kelly, you are the most amazing
person!!!! When this is all over,
and it will be soon, you will get
the gold medal and whatever else
we can find to shower you with.
Keep the faith Kelly - we love you
so very much!

Grandma and Grandpa Dreyer

Anonymous said...

Kelly, Nash and family

Ken & I are thinking and praying for your recovery. We are in Utah and can't give physical support to you all but I'm good at email, calls and writing. If I can help in any small way by brightening your day this way, let me know. I spoke to Aunt Gail/Grandma last night. I love your blog and will check it often. All my love!!
Cousin Kim (Uncle Charlie's daughter)

Scott Dreyer said...

Kelly, great news girl, i never once doubted that you would come out on top. Considering you have had to deal with the Dreyer's for so long you were battle ready. If you Nash or the kids need anything you know I am only a phone call away.All my love , Uncle Scott

Noon said...

Kelly, I was away form home when I read all of this and could not send an immediate message. I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. We will certainly pray for you and send positive vibes your way. If there is anything more we can do please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up all the hard work and keep inspiring those around you. Much prayers and love.

Summer (Byrum) Henson