Hello Everyone! I have lots of good news to share this evening....keeping it light tonight!
Nash quickly informed about "Operation Cheer" yesterday after the mailman dropped off 21 birthday cards and 2 packages! Oh my was that a surprise! And they are still coming in! Relatives, close friends, colleagues, college classmates, and friends/relatives of people who are close to me. It's so amazing! The words are wonderfully uplifting and encouraging. Thank you. While I was in the hospital, Nash was taping the cards to the pantry door in the kitchen (just as I would with Christmas/Holiday cards) so that I could see them when I returned home. We continue to add the cards I've received since I've been home but I'll tell you....I'm running out of room! Thank you....I'm smiling right now just thinking about that!
I had follow-up with my surgeon Dr. Samy last week regarding my initial ear/skull problem. Good news....The surgery was a success. All of the initial symptoms that prompted the need for surgery in the first place are gone in the right ear. They also tried to induce vertigo symptoms and were unsuccessful! This is great news! I'll hold any comments about the left ear for now. Only time will tell and I'm hopeful they won't progress to a level as problematic as my right ear. Second bit of good news.....Dr. Samy stated that he was prepared to present my case to colleagues in his field of practice at the end of the week. He is very seriously considering changing the post-op regimen for future surgical patients as a result of my complications. Specifically, he is considering requiring all patients with a pre-existing inflammatory bowel disease history, to be on fragman shots (blood thinner) for at least one week post-op to reduce the likelihood of DVT's or PE's! THAT'S BIG! That means that what I've gone through isn't being dismissed as a fluke or random incident. What happened to me may change the way surgeon's practice and may save lives! Now if that doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will!
One side note....For those of you on hormone therapies....While in the hospital, the hematologists shared with me that they recommend persons on hormone therapies (esp. birth control) go off for approx. 3 months prior to a scheduled surgery....especially lengthy surgeries. We had no idea! My recommendation.....Be informed, ask lots of questions, and consider consulting a hematologist if this impacts you.
My walking is improving each and every day. I'm still using the cane and am able to step through more smoothly and efficiently. My biggest challenge is to take my time and focusing on the quality of my steps....that's my Physical Therapist's talking! They're right....I do much better when I slow down and take my time. If only someone could tell me how to get the world around me to slow down! Also, I start Aquatic Therapy in the next week or so in a 90 degree pool. I think this is going to help me tremendously!
Tonight I had a SIMPLE, But, BIG achievement. For those of you who don't know, I always cut Nash and Will's hair. Nadia taught me one cut and it works for both! When I returned home, I was in awe at the mopey head of hair both of them had. I begged Nash to take he and Will to get their hair cut. But, Nash said he was boycotting hair cuts until I could do it again! GREAT! I didn't have to work too hard to convince G-Ma Carol to take Will to get his hair cut. I didn't want to chance cutting him. My left arm still isn't back to baseline. It still shakes some and is a bit "clumsy". But tonight, I gave it a shot with Nash. We decided it could be good therapy! Nash was sort of my cane and support for balance. I have to say, my arm held up well. The bigger challenge, surprisingly, was my LUNGS! I don't think I've spent much time doing activities with my arms at chest height. I had to take 4 breaks because my chest got so heavy and my work of breath increased. I know my OT colleagues are probably smiling right now. We have goals for our patients specifically about completing tasks at chest height! I can certainly understand what our patients are going through. I guess it was good therapy!
Lastly....I don't know if I told you this and thought it might warm your heart. My first night home, Nash and the kids and I, as well as my Father-in-Law Norm, were sitting around the table having our first dinner together. William (our 4 year old) very maturely spoke up after a couple minutes of silence and said, "This is a great day." When asked, "What makes it such a great day Will?" He replied, "Because Mom's home." I'll never forget that moment and fought to hold back the tears.
Love to you all! THANK YOU again for everything (prayers, words of encouragement, cards, meals, and more). We are so very blessed.
Kelly
15 comments:
I love everything about this post! I love that your case is going to help surgeons improve their practice. I love that you cut Nash and Will's hair (didn't know that about you!) and that you were able to cut Nash's. I love that you are doing so much better and that each of your posts brings report of new improvements. And I LOVE LOVE the story about William.
You are incredible, Kel, and such an inspiration!
Love, Laura
Praying for continued good news. Praying for continued progress. Praying that you post pics of Nash with moppy hair.
Hurrah! Hurrah!! Hurrah!! God
is good all the time and all the
time God is good! Prayers are being answered. We are so thankful and can't wait for the
next progress report from our brave
and beautiful granddaughter. Luv
you all soo-o-o much.
Grandma & Grandpa Dreyer
Man that little Will. He knows just what say huh. So sweet and natural. I definitely would've had a hard time not crying. I am glad you are continuing to improve. We have been thinking about you lots and plan to call you soon. I've been holding back trying to give you time to enjoy your family since you were gone so long. We love you girl and hope you have a fantastic birthday tomorrow. I'm sure it has a whole new meaning these days.
well i let the tears down for you! you have such a strong family and I am so glad that you and your family are getting so much help. That is one last thing that you have to deal with worrying about. keep strong and the days will only get better!
Happy day before your birthday Kelly!! Glad things are improving daily...we continue to pray for you. Let me know if you need ANYTHING. By the way...maybe you should join Facebook like the rest of us now!
Kelly,
I love this post. It was so good to see you on thurs. I know how hard you are working & I am very proud of you. Those kids of yours are adorable. That story about Will brough tears to my eyes. He is such a sweet boy. Good luck in your aqautic therapy. You are an inspiration to so many...
Love You, Aunt Mindy
Kelly,
What wonderful news and so glad you are doing well! I love reading your BLOGS! You are amazing! Your story about William brought tears to my eyes.
gina
Just when I think you have touched me so deep, you come up with another story about your triumphs. I know they seem like baby steps to you, but WOW... I don't know how you do what you do. You are amazing! Yes God is watching and taking care of you, but you do so much to enable yourself to get better. Much love to you!
Cousin Kim
Kel,
I love that you are willing to share on this blog--and keep all of us informed and connected. I can't tell you how I "hear" you in your writing and it makes me miss talking to you/working with you! Keep working hard everyday--especially at keeping your spirits up and finding the positive. It's inspirational! Love, Tory
Dear Mrs. Kelly:
My mommy and daddy took me downtown yesterday to walk around. I walked all by myself!!! But, I know what you mean by needing to take your time because when I tried to walk too quickly, I would fall down on my hands and knees right in the middle of the sidewalk! Like you, I got right back up and tried it again, a little slower the next time, though.
I hope you are getting better every day.
Love,
Carter Myers
Kelly,
Praying for you and so happy to hear of the wonderful news! One day at a time...they are all such gifts.
Love to you all,
Ross & Tricia
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Wow, Kelly! You are an amazing woman in so many ways! I'm blessed to have met you and I'm so sure it's part of God's plan. You are blessed and your family is so blessed to have you in their lives! You are so brave, strong and faith-filled!
Happy Birthday, Girl! You have so much to celebrate! I know this "road" isn't over, but take things a day at a time and remember that so many of us are praying for you and so willing to help - with whatever you need!
You have warmed my heart by sharing all of this! Tears are flowing from my eyes and care from my heart! Prayers are said each day!
Hope to see you soon!
Love, Laurie (Jeff & Abby, too!)
Happy Birthday Kelly! I hope you have a wonderful day and congrats on the progress!
Post a Comment