Thursday, February 18, 2010
Getting Used To Needles
Is that possible? Can anyone get used to needles? I never thought I'd be saying this but, "Yes", unfortunately I've had no choice but to get used to needles. In the last 21 days in the hospital if you consider the number of IV's I have had multiplied by the number of times they had to stick me to successfully get the IV in, plus the 1 to 3x/day for blood draws, and the week I gave myself shots in my stomach 2x/day....I've certainly become a human pin cushion and gotten used to needles. By about day 7, the veins in my arms were screaming at the staff and not very cooperative. I was bruised from my elbow through the backs of my hands. 3 nights in a row my IV's failed between the hours of 11:45pm and 12:15am. The staff struggled to find places to put them. Luckily as the need for IV's became less and I transferred to Christ rehab, my arms had time to heal, only requiring daily blood draws. Here at Christ I've needed only 2 IV's and in the process found out something fantastic. It turns out that they have a team of 'IV Therapists' whose primary job is to put in IV's. For both IV's they were called in and let me tell you..."These Women Are Good & Quick!" Both times they had my IV in with only one stick. No searching, no shaky hands, no pondering! It's great. So, take home message.....Ask for IV Therapy!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I remember thinking about that when Nash first got diagnosed with diabetes...no fun but I'm sure you are getting used to it!
Sounds wonderful... if that's even possible to say when you are talking about needles!
You do get used to them.. For 42 years I have injected insulin multiple times a day. I know it sounds funny but you do get used to it. I'm glad they found a team to help you out in that aspect. But when you don't have a choice you will be amazed how quickly you getusedto it. Hang in there.... Love Aunt Mindy
Kelly, If anybody can say, "I know"
it's Mindy - But you hang in there my beautiful granddaughter - life
can only get better from here!
Love you bunches....
Grandma & Grandpa Dreyer
Thank goodness there are people who can insert an IV quickly and with one stick. Can't imagine how you felt. I hate needles, no I should say I am soooo afraid of needles. You are so brave in many ways. You are my idol!!!
Cousin Kim
Post a Comment