No one said this was going to be easy. What they did say was, "Kelly, you're past the critical phase. None of this is devastating....you will recover, it will just take time." Some things doctors say just resonate in your ears. The good and the bad. My focus is on the good. Don't get me wrong, this is emotional. I get frustrated, exhausted, angry at times, and down right sick of all of this. But, in two days I have seen progress and I think I'm finally starting to understand my body. I will overcome this.
On a lighter note. I'm definitely the youngest one here, and yet we're all fighting a similar battle. Increase independence so that we can safely go home. I was in a group session with an elderly man today with a focus on strength and endurance. We spent 45 minutes hitting a balloon back and forth, playing baseball with a bat and balloon, and doing upper extremity exercise (I had a 1lb. wt and he had 2lb's). From an endurance standpoint, he ran circles around me! He made it all look easy and I was taking breaks and sucking air! It didn't take us long to connect though and 30 minutes into the session he was saying to me, "You need to take a break." By the end of the session, I ended up holding his walker while he was pushing me all the way back to my room! Everyone who saw us in the hall grinned from ear to ear!
That's all for now. Thank you for the awesome comments. Reading them gave me such strength and happiness today. Love to you all,
Kelly
17 comments:
Thanks for the update. You all have been in our thoughts. Keep up the fight...we KNOW you can beat this!
Sounds like your therapy buddy is going to be a good support to you (I'm sure he probably doesn't mind that you are young & beautiful). We wish that we were closer to OH to help in some way, but we will definitely keep you in our prayers. {{{hugs}}} m,j,& c
Dear Kelly,
Thank you for posting your updates. It's good to know what's going on with you. Keep up the good work. You're doing great! May God give you strength and healing and a good day on Wednesday! God is with you.
Love,
Angie (cousin)
Kel-
Thanks for updating us. I hate being out of touch and not being close enough to help. I'm glad you have a friend in therapy. It seems to help me get through something difficult when I have someone to help push me along.
Hang in there and allow yourself to experience the emotions.
Hugs,
Kellie
Kelly,
Hang in there & keep fighting. You can do it. We love you & are praying our hearts out for you. Your therapy buddy must love having a hot little number like you working with him. Keep up the good work. Love You!!! Aunt Mindy & Uncle Mike
I like the word "fight" in your blog title. I now think the intense advocacy fight you had to wage at the other hospital (in addition to wearing your body out)is what enabled you to make it to the Rehab Unit (plus lots of prayers and the Holy Spirit). You've had that "fighting Spirit" from the beginning! You go girl! You are in the home stretch! Love, Mom
Hi Kelly,
It's so good to her from you--thanks for keeping us updated. We're thinking about you and praying for you and looking forward to seeing you when we're in town in April.
Lisa, Ed and Thomas
We know you are a fighter! The very bravest young woman we know.
With God's favor (and prodding by
EVERYONE'S prayers) you will over-come. Know that we love you very
much and can't wait to see you. If
you need us before June just send
a shout out and we will be there!
God Bless!
Grandma & Grandpa Dreyer
to cool! what a different prospective for an o.t. to see if on the other side. this will just make you and even better therapist (if that can even happen!!!) seriously thinking i need to take a trip just to wash your hair and give you a trim! he he he
sorry we keep missing eachother. will talk soon.
love you
p.s. everyone loves that you are blogging!!!!
Thanks for keeping us all updated! I've been thinking of you and praying for your recovery. Keep your chin up :)
Kel - you teach me so much by examples you set! Your attitude is incredible and your motivation admirable! I love the story about your therapy buddy. :) You can totally hear your voice in your words.
Keep it up girlfriend!
Love, Laura
I can't believe you are going through all of this!!!! Thanks so much for keeping us posted on the blog! Otherwise, I'd be bombarding you and Nash with calls. So glad you were doing P90x so this wouldn't get you down. I've been doing it for a year and I'm pretty sure all of this still would have killed me. Heck, the P90x has almost killed me a couple of times. Hang in there!
Kelly, I'm so sorry to see that you all are having to go through this! I'm praying for you and your family. I know that you will pull through this, and God will use this experience for something wonderful! Keep up the good work in rehab, and stay positive. Please keep the updates coming! Peggy Cox Crisp
Still in our prayers! Looks like you are making progress. Stay strong and keep the faith!
Brooke
As a PT your story about the elderly man gives me great perspective:) Keep up the great work! I'm glad you've been seeing progress. You and your family have been in my thoughts.
Allison Ruble
Kelly,
Please know that since your initial surgery you and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers. You are such an amazing person and reading about your experience just makes you that much more remarkable! Keep up the fight! I know it's in you ---I see how tough you fight for the kids you work with and blessed they are to have you! You are a wonderful and admirable woman on so many levels and certainly God has great wonders in store for you!
God Bless You!
Gina Brumfield
Girl, you are amazing! And that post made me smile! Carol told me the cutest story about Will today... talking to you on the phone asking Carol and Nash to "please give me a minute!" He needs his privacy when he talks to his Mommy!!! Big prayers coming from the Bushman's!
Love you!
Post a Comment