Relief....I am home. Sorry it's taken a couple days for me to reach all of you, but I hope you can have some understanding of the impact of the words..."I'm home." I haven't slept in my bed next to my loving husband since the 19th of January. I haven't seen my amazing children since the 29th of January. We certainly had some catching up to do.
To be fully open and honest....I hesitated sharing too much about my medical condition with all of you. I know that many of my friends and family are in the health care profession. I had so many DR. theories about what was happening to me and I was worried that many of you would "Stew" over what was happening. I didn't want that stress for you. It was enough for me and my family to deal with. I will share with you now, the most puzzling issue that I have been facing since all of this started was the loss of proprioception in my lower extremities which progressed to pretty severe clonus and hyper-reflexive muscle response. I have been dealing with pretty severe tremoring in my legs and some difficulty with my left arm. The left arm and leg being worse than my right. This was one of the primary reasons for going to inpatient rehab. I had such difficulty walking...fighting my muscles on a daily basis. So, the BIG question is WHY? And, what does that have to do with my ear/skull surgery and my pulmonary embolisms? The day before I was scheduled to leave rehab, the now 6th or 7th neurologist that came to evaluate me (over the course of my 22 day hospitalization) decided to do a spinal MRI. I had only previously had one of the brain. The result Thursday evening was, "You have a mass, a tumor, at C3/C4 to the left of your spinal cord that is causing compression. We believe this is the source of the problem." I thought.....Are you telling me, that I went in for an ear/skull surgery, a week later I'm struggling to breathe and having difficulty walking, develop life threatening pulmonary embolisms, through the course of recovery have further deterioration of my proprioceptive and motor functioning, and now I have a cervical tumor??? This is unbelievable! And yet, surprisingly, maybe an answer! Or, was it??? Neurology says, "It is causing your problem and needs to come out." Neurosurgery was not 100% convinced. Neurosurgery agreed that if compressing enough, the tumor is in the exact location to cause the exact symptoms I am suffering from. However, they are not convinced that the tumor is pressing hard enough to cause the severity of the symptoms I am experiencing. AGH! They ordered another brain MRI looking more closely at the brain stem. It was normal. They then wanted to begin testing for the "Bad/Rare Neurological Conditions" that could be the cause of my trouble. That's when I said, "ENOUGH! I'M GOING HOME TODAY! I NEED TIME TO PROCESS ALL OF THIS. I NEED A BREAK FROM ALL OF THIS. IN MY HEART AND MIND, I DO NOT FEEL I HAVE SOME SEVERE NEUROLOGICAL CONDITION. I'M SICK OF TESTING. I'M SICK OF THEORIES. AND I NEED A BREAK!" So, with the blessing of most, I went home.
In terms of the tumor, what everyone did agree with, was that it can't come out right now. I would have to be off blood thinners for at least 2 weeks. The risk that would pose to my lungs due to the severity of my clots and how recently I have just started treatment would be far too great. Neurology and neurosurgery want to monitor it closely and wait for the right time.
My theory (and it's just a theory). I feel it would be way to ironic for them to find a spinal tumor in the exact location that would cause me these symptoms. I question (as well as one of the neurosurgery residents) that during this process, this ugly tumor may have compressed my spinal cord (i.e. during intubation and/or positioning, etc.) that may have resulted in these symptoms I am experiencing. And, through time and therapy, may have shifted off. There is compression, just not enough right now to fully impede CSF flow. That seems much more possible to me than finding some very rare and complicated neurological problem.
My plan....I will be following up closely with neurosurgery. In the least, I will have a repeat spinal MRI in a couple weeks and follow-up shortly after. I am told these are usually slow growing tumors and typically 90% benign. There is some concern that with no prior symptoms or pain, this may be a faster growing tumor. So, we'll watch it closely.
The other thing I don't think I've shared with you is the other prevailing theory regarding the development of the PE's in my lungs. The Dr's spent a solid week discussing and searching for cancer. They tell me that new onset cancers can put your body in a hypercoagulable state making you more susceptible to pulmonary embolisms. After multiple scan's and studies of my abdomen/pelvis, etc. they found nothing. Until now this spinal tumor. So, is this tumor an isolated event/finding.....or could this be the link to my PE's? Does everyone see how complicated, how scary, how difficult, and how incredibly frustrating this process has become???
This is why I needed to come home. This is why I needed a break. This is why I am so very thankful to have all of you. Between myself and my faith, my family and all of you, I have had the fuel, the fire, and the sheer determination and strength to fight all of this. I know that I still have many unanswered questions and certainly this is not over.
I do not know if the tremors are better or if I'm just learning how to live with them. I want to believe they are getting better because I can do so much more. I do not think I'm getting worse. I am able to walk with a cane and do the majority of my own care. I do tire easily. I will be going to outpatient PT 3x/week....piggy backing with my father during his cardiac rehab. Can you believe that?!?! I am off oxygen. My HR still continues to run a little high and my chest gets heavy and tight. It improves when I rest and take breaks. I'll have blood draws 3x/week which should decrease in frequency as my therapeutic level on coumadin becomes more consistent. In the next couple weeks I have follow-up with my family physician, neurosurgery, neurology, pulmonology, GI, hematology, and of course my ear/skull surgeons. It will be a busy couple weeks and one that I expect will bring great progress.
I know this was a long post. I was holding quite a lot back and felt it was time to share. I love you all and am so very thankful for your love and support!
Kel
14 comments:
Kelly,
I understand your frustration. So many opinions & advice. May times after many medical problems you get so overwhelmed with information you just need to take a break & digest everything. Sometimes you want to cry, sometimes you want to scream & sometimes you just want to curl up & not deal at all. But just remember your faith & your love of family & friends. You are strong & amazing & YOU WILL get through this. Just know that we LOVE YOU soooo much & will continue to pray for your strength to deal with all of this. Hang in there, it will get better... Love Always, Aunt Mindy & Uncle Mike
Bless your heart! If you need somone to watch the kids just let me know!!
Susan
Kelly, Our beautiful granddaughter!
How clear and concise you are try-
ing to explain to those of us with
zero medical understanding. You
have such patience! We know in our
heart that you will continue to im-
prove. Our entire church congrata-
tion is praying for you. God loves
you so! We will always be ready to
love and support you and Nash and
the children. Just holler when you
need us. God Bless You!
With all our love & understanding,
Grandma & Grandpa Dreyer
I'm just so happy to hear that you are HOME! It breaks my heart to raed all of unanswered questions, but at the same time, I'm so inspired by your strength and determination. I'm glad you told them that you needed some time at home and that you are able to snuggle up to that beautiful family.
We love you and are thinking of you.
-Brad, Kellie & Carter
Oh. My. God!
I just saw the post above this one this morning and make my usual light-hearted comment. Then Kellie just came and told me that there was another post that you had made that I hadn't seen. You have no idea how hard we are praying and thinking about our Dreyers right now. If there's anything else we can do, don't hesitate to call!
Hoping for answers and good news!!
I'm glad you understand all of that medical stuff because I felt like I was reading a medical text book and couldn't find the glossary!!! Kelly, trust your own judgement...it is your body...and believe that God will get you where you need to be. PLEASE let me know if you need ANYTHING. I'm only a few miles down the street from you and working part-time so I am flexible. Love those kiddos and hubby as much as you can...thankful you are home :)
Kelly my heart and prayers are with you, you have been and are going through so much, with such strength and determination. Please if you need anyhting I work by you guys, I will do anything you need I am off on Wed if you need me to watch the kids, anyhting at all... Love Carissa
Hi Kelly,
We talked to Nash tonight before seeing these blog entries--so happy to hear you're home with your family! And how great that you and your dad can commute to therapy together. No one should have to go through all of this, but with yours and Nash's medical backgrounds to help you understand what's going on and your positive, never-give-up attitude, we know you'll stay strong and make it through! I know we're far away, but let us know if we can do anything besides pray and send mental hugs!
Lisa (and Ed and TJ)
Kelly,
I had no idea things had gotten even more complicated than they were before but I am soooo happy you are home with your family. That is such great news and I know you have been working very hard! Please know that we are all thinking of you and wishing you well my dear!
Jessica K
WE LOVE YOU KELLY!
Kelly,
I wish I had some magical words that would releive this trial from you and your family. I know you're a woman of prayer and faith and I just want you to know that I have been and will continue to pray for your strength/health and your family's strength during this time.
Kelly, we miss you at work. We continue to pray for you during your recovery and look forward to when you are able to come back. Your blog is incredible! Keep working hard!
Suzanne
Kelly,
I am so glad you are finally home with your beautiful family. You are amazing and I know this long road ahead is frightening but with love and faith you can move mountains. I will be praying for you and your family. Stay strong :)
Amy Huebner (RCNIC)
Kelly,
I am so glad you are home with Nash and your beautiful kids. I just don't know what to say about all you've been thru. All I know is that you are such a brave woman. God knows you need a break from all the hospital stuff right now. I hope you get your answers soon and can move on with your recovery. We are praying for you and the family!!
Love,
Cousin Kim
Post a Comment