Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wow...It's really been awhile since I've posted. Sorry about that. I guess the positive to that is... I'm getting busier, doing more than I have in quite awhile, and making future plans. How's that for progress???

Updates: I've been out of the hospital for 3 weeks now (can you believe it!?!) and progressing well. My walking continues to get better and better each week. If you saw me walk with a cane and my left leg brace, and then ignored that those two things were there, you might not even notice any problems with my walking. With just the brace and no cane, it's a little more noticeable. Without both, it's a lot more noticeable. BUT, I am able to walk independently without the cane and brace....but.....I'm going for quality and that's why I still use them. I've been exercising in pool, doing therapy work-outs in the gym, going for longer walks, and even been driving. Clearly my expectation for mobility reaches far beyond walking independently. My hope is to return to all of the activities that I would have participated in before all of this happened. So, I see that I have a ways to go but feel confident I will reach my goals. My lungs confuse me. Sometimes I think they're getting better and then I get out of breath with something simple and wonder how much change has really happened. My first outpatient follow-up with the pulmonologist is this Friday. The follow-up spinal MRI is Monday the 22nd and neurosurgery appt. to discuss results and plan is next Friday the 26th. Then a hematology appt. that following Friday. So, I'm pretty busy. On top of that.....I'm going back to work this week! You may call me crazy but I'm so ready. It's a piece of me that I'm ready to get back to. I had a wonderful visit last Thursday for a few hours and it was so nice to see them all. It's hard to believe that the last time I was with them was January 19th! So, that's the best update I can give.

My amazing Ella:
I attended a parent teacher conference last Thursday for Ella who is in 1/2 day Kindergarten. While waiting outside the classroom door, the teacher had a bin of "travel books" the kids have made this school year. Now, most of these books make it home and we read them with Ella. But, I noticed one I hadn't seen that likely came home while I was in the hospital. It had the face of Martin Luther King and read, "I HAVE A DREAM". Each page was the response of each child's finishing statement to "I HAVE A DREAM".... with a picture to match. Some read, "that all people are nice to animals" or "that all bad people will go away" or "that all people will recycle" or "that no one will throw Lego's on the floor" (haha..one of my favorites). You know what Ella's was???? "that my mommy will get better soon". AGH...I was fighting tears right before the conference! And, I'll have you know that all drawings of me now include a cane!HAHA!

Lastly, I was reviewing with Ella the schedule for the week and we were discussing still having extra help from the Grandma's. She says, "Just until you get all better right?" To which I respond, "Yeah, but maybe sooner." Then I say, "Guess what Ella? I have good news!" "What is it?" she says with excitement. "I'm going back to work next week!" To which she says, "You are? (with a BIG smile and excitement in her voice for me)....That's awesome mom! Give me five (and she hold her hand up high)!" It was with the most sincere excitement that she knew what this meant for me. One step closer to regaining my life and the things I love to do. She's an amazing little girl!

Have a wonderful start to your week and I hope to be blogging soon! Love to you all!
Kelly

7 comments:

The Aliaga Family said...

High five Kelly!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome Kelly. You are getting your life back. I just love the way you tell stories. We already knew what an amazing little girl Ella is, she is so smart & perceptive. Your bond with your daughter is one that will go on forever & only get stronger. They say, "a daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life, but a son is a son until he takes a wife". I don't know if this is true, because of course I don't have a son, but I do cherish my girls & that relationship. You just hang in there & keep working hard & best of luck with all the dr. appts. coming up. You will continue to be in our prayers. If there is anything we can do to help, let us know. We love you very much. Love Uncle Mike & Aunt Mindy

Laura Sauer said...

Aw, Ella! I CANNOT WAIT to see you this weekend, Kel! Cathy and I kept talking about it Saturday. :) Good luck with your therapies and schedule this week. See you so soon!

Anonymous said...

Great work Kelly, you are my hero!
Really and truly, you have taught
me how important the real things in
life are. We love you very much and can't wait to see you.
Grandma & Grandpa Dreyer

Jess said...

I have no words just a really big smile on my face! I know Nad must be really excited to come home and see all of you. Living so far away can be so hard sometimes!

*super dude and super dog* said...

Oh, Kelly! What a wonderful update that was worth the wait. I am thrilled you are continuing to improve and will pray that your follow-up MRI and planning stages aren't filled with difficult information or choices. I can't believe you are going back to work! ROCK STAR!
-Kellie

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

All I can say is "How Sweet" this blog is. Good luck with work!!!

Luv,
Cousin Kim