Friday, May 23, 2008

Backpacking at Red River Gorge 5-08

Nash, Kelly, Brandon & Erin
Backpacking at Red River Gorge

We have a new love...a new passion....and that's BACKPACKING. In preparation for a 5 day backpacking trip Nash is taking with his father and brother-in-law this summer, Nash and I decided to plan a 3 day backpacking trip to Red River Gorge to get a taste of what it is like. We love camping but have never actually backpacked before. My good friend Erin and her husband (and puppy) are experienced backpackers and were happy to go along and show us what backpacking is all about. All I can say is....WE HAD A BLAST. 3 days and 2 nights of hiking, carrying everything on our backs (i.e. tents, sleeping bags, clothes, food, water, etc). We crossed streams, scaled rocks, hiked mountains, and crossed a suspension bridge. We set up camp in the evenings, prepared our own food, filtered stream water, and even built a fire and cooked smores. We had beautiful weather. Sunny and 70 during the day and a little rainy and 50's at night. We are so thankful to Erin and Brandon for sharing their knowledge with us. And....before we returned we planned our next backpacking adventure in June. Thank you "federal government" for our economic stimulus package! It's going toward backpacking gear!











9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Nash & Kelly.
You'll continue to love backpacking as you explore new places.
Can't wait for Yellowstone this summer.
Love,
Dad D

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys got some experience. What beautiful scenery. Glad you had fun. I love the pics. Love Aunt Mindy

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun you guys. So glad you love to backpack. I can't wait to do some backpacking with you two and your dad and me -- and skiing in the winter. What fun we're all going to have!

Wally & Leah Hansen said...

How cool. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I have to say I'm tired now just by looking at the pictures:)

Janna said...

That looks like a lot of fun. No backpacking in my near future...I'm was just released from bed rest after a stay in the hospital due to early contractions and now am supposed to take things easy! Glad you got out and had some fun.

Monica~ James~ Connor said...

Looks like lots of fun!!! And what beautiful scenery. Glad to hear that you 2 had such a great time.

Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

Hi I'm Nadia's friend... I see the pic of you in the Cave and we actually camped there one weekend. It's huge!

My husband and I love it there so much that we actually got married there!

Sarah said...

You guys are awesome and I think could do anything! Looks like a lot of fun! The kiddies are adorable. I love the smile Will has in the picture with Grandma Carol!

Unknown said...

Hi! My name is Shannon, and I have only three days to see Red River Gorge, and I was wondering what areas you hiked! I haven't had a chance to backpack in such a long time that I want to take advantage of this opportunity... but so far all I've found are day hikes. Figured maybe you could offer some advice?

Thanks either way!
Shannon, college backpacking enthusiast
shannonm.lange@gmail.com